Thursday, September 19, 2013

New Foundations

One of Merriam-Webster's definitions for foundation is:
a body or ground upon which something is built up or overlaid.

The Bible talks about building on sand in Matthew 7: 26 & 27.  It reads as follows:
And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.  And the rain fell, and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.

These two pieces of information tell me that if something (a house, a relationship, a business,...) isn't build on a good foundation that in time it will be destroyed and/or destroy itself.  The foundation is the most important part of anything.  Just because something looks good on the outside does not tell you anything about what it is like at its very foundation.  The foundation could be weak and what you see on the outside will eventually fall apart.  It is the foundation that supports whatever is above it.

In my life right now I am experiencing the loss of a relationship that is very important to me.  This relationship also affects other important relationships.  As I have sought the Lord about what I need to do regarding this relationship, the Lord has told me there is nothing to go back to.  I could try to continue as we were but it wasn't a relationship. At least not a healthy relationship.  A relationship requires at least two people and both people need to be contributing to the relationship for it to be healthy.  Or its foundation is weak and it eventually is destroyed.

As I contemplated "nothing to go back to" I felt hopeless.  That is not something you want to hear.  But through the words of a friend, I began to see hope - light, if you will.  Even though there is nothing to go back to, there are new beginnings.  Fresh starts.  Just like if your house is destroyed by fire - you don't have a house to go back to but you can build a new one.  Even better than the one before hopefully.

Paul says in Phi 3:1l3:
Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own.  But one thing I do:  forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead.

So my prayer now is asking the Lord what I need to do to begin laying a new foundation in this relationship.  The past is gone.  Each party in the relationship has made mistakes.  But we do not have to dwell on that.  We need to forget the past - completely.  We need to begin building a new relationship based on a better foundation.  A foundation based on the Word of God.  Placing the other person above ourselves.  Realizing that in a relationship both parties must be willing to give.  To make time for the other person in their lives.  To include them in their lives.  Respecting and honoring each other.

Going back to the past is simply returning to the same things that got us to where we are today.  But beginning anew will take us to places that God meant for people in relationship to be.  Where you can count on each other.  Not just when trouble arises but all the time.  To rejoice with you when you rejoice.  To cry with you when you cry.  To just be there for each other.

I am happy to say that I have hope.  Hope in the God Who created relationship.  As I continue to pray and follow the Lord's leading - I believe in His time a new relationship will emerge.  One better than ever.  Not based on past mistakes (sinking sand) but based on a firm foundation of respect for each other.

Luke 6:31
Do to others as you wold have them do to you.

If we live by the Word of God, the only firm foundation, our relationships will stand.  So, here is to new foundations, new beginnings, healthy relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment